Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Working with Mozart

I finally persuaded Linda, sick with the flu after taking care of her sick son all week, to show me how to make a tote bag:

Doesn't it look straight out of store? A really fancy tote bag store? And look:

It's lined! Wouldn't you pay like, a hundred bucks for this?

The wild thing is that Linda totally intuited the whole thing. I thought she was going to show me some pattern and we'd follow the steps. But she just said, what size do you want? And points to various tote bags she's made by "figuring it out". Remember the movie "Amadeus"? She was like Mozart, just saying you'll want to do this...And I'd ask why and she'd say it's hard to explain but you'll see in the end..And so on. It was like that scene where Salieri has found some music Mozart is working on and Salieri marvels at the heavenly oboe note coming in from nowhere, follows the composition, and jealously deems Mozart's work brilliant. Like that, but instead I have a fabulous tote bag!

I'm hoping to make a few for a fundraiser--fortunately for me, I understood Linda's logic and hope to crank some out this weekend in various sizes. Wish me luck--

2 comments:

Pound said...

ok i'm simultaneously blushing and LMAO @ you and your mozart! poor salieri, with his neck band aid. LMAOOOOO i cannot believe you compared us making the bag to that. i just hope you don't get sick, cuz i was pretty near out of commission. literally, 4 min. after you left. it was weird. i wanna see pics of your future bags when you're done!!! next time we'll do the boat kind, since you'll be a pro!

susan said...

super cute! love the lining!