Sunday, August 9, 2009

Biker girls

The girl is growing up too fast--I can barely keep up. I miss the age where she just started talking and would grab my face with her little hands. Now I've got a sarcastic tweener in my house who rolls her eyes when I talk about Harry Potter.

I'm trying to grab significant time with the girl whenever I can so I suggested going for a walk tonight. The girl wanted to ride bikes. I was hoping for something a bit more laid-back so we could chat but she said we'd hadn't rode bikes in soooo long. So we rode down to Strickland's:

The girl got a cone and I took a detour and picked up a latte:

We chatted a bit but I feel our major accomplishment was making it all the way back without walking the bikes because of course, the ride home is uphill. I was sweating like a pig halfway up the hill and I was totally up for walking the bikes, but the girl said she could pedal it. So I stuck with it too, breathing heavy, standing on my pedals, my front tire weaving from my exhausted steering, and leaving a trail of sweat drops on the road. We both made it. Perhaps it was the latte but I'd like to think it was the mother-daughter bond that powered me up the hill. At least, that's the way I hope the girl remembers it.

1 comment:

pat said...

Do they know you at Starbucks-so they write FRANCES on the cup???