Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Secret Santa adventures

Not only do I enjoy having a Secret Santa, I LOVE being one. The only downside this year was I had so little time and my execution wasn't as clear as I'd preferred. The theme I did for my recipient was "Believe". He is a big Angels fan so I put up red and silver tinsel as well as pictures of key players and the manager advising him to believe in Secret Santa. Unfortunately my big decoration became sort of this hot mess of a collage of giant peppermint candy and Japanese cartoons. One of my friends said it reminded her of the prop in "Saw":

Day 1


The second day I fulfilled my recipient's wish for Stephen King books ("The Shining" and "Different Seasons" paperbacks) with a bonus steak and hash brown breakfast burrito from Del Taco.

Day 2


My recipient said he was a rap fan so the third day was a mix CD of old school stuff--"White Lines" holla!--and new non-rap songs like Phoenix's "1901". He also said he liked food so I tossed in some crazy snacks (like Octopus crackers) from the Korean grocer including one featuring a hip-hop mascot who was down with the honey-dipped crackers. And I "capped" it off with a Kangol baseball hat. Does anyone remember when Kangol was the big label in rap?

Day 3


My recipient had wished for a dashboard hula girl but I couldn't find one locally and at this point it was too late to order one so I did one of my favorite things--made a t-shirt:

Day 4


As luck would have it, I offered another Secret Santa my services and made his recipient (obviously a Glee fan) this shirt:

Day 4 Bonus!


And on the final day, I had planned on getting the specific CD my recipient had on his wish list. I had reserved it at the local Borders but I got an e-mail on Wednesday telling me that they had sold it as an online order! I tried a bunch of local stores--even my friends tried to help me out when they were near some specialty stores--but to no avail. So I ended up giving him an errand for his final gift:

Day 5--the final day


My recipient was a good sport and still enjoyed it--hooray!

No comments: