Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Mother's Day (and Star Trek Rocks!)

Hope all the moms out there had a great Mother's Day. I got to see a movie, eat about a pound of licorice and peanut brittle (do WW points count on Mother's Day? I hope not), enjoy a nice lunch at home, and nap. Lovely and lazy.

The new Star Trek movie is awesome. I love genesis movies (where we learn how heroes get their start) in general and this did not disappoint. The brief reverent scenes for mothers/parenthood got the tears out, the references tying characters to their respective tv portrayers got me laughing out loud (even to a casual Star Trek viewer like myself), and the explosive and dizzying action got me just a wee bit nauseated.

Karl Urban (the lead Rider of Rohan, Eomer, from the 2nd and 3rd movies of the "Lord of the Rings" series) killed it as McCoy. Who knew he was so funny? And hats off to Zachary Quinto for making Spock a sex symbol of simmering emotion and reserve. Chris Pine caputured the lothario and egotistical aspects of James Kirk very well. I have to confess though, I got distracted by the number of fistfights he got into--off the top of my head I can recall at least four! Yeesh, add an orangutan to the movie and it could have nailed two classic movies in one. Zoe Saldana gave a great determination and intelligence to the Uhura character and a lot more credit (thanks to the script), in my opinion, as the often sole woman on the bridge in the tv series.

Anyhoo, I give this movie an A-. I would have given it an A except I'm having trouble accepting a key explanation in the movie which would be a spoiler to mention. Though I will say, if the entire movie was like that opening scene of the USS Kelvin, it would have been an A+.

1 comment:

Pound said...

i've given up on lost but still want to see this! wed is bk day: getting my st toys and special st glasses w/ purchase of a meal. :P zomg. we should have a bk lunch day this wk. also i should give you the shark vac haha.

p.s. ww points totally don't count on all major holidays.