Monday, March 22, 2010

My brackets are garbage but at least the Women are getting Mad

My saving grace is that a bunch of others are trash too. A bunch of upsets that weren't the standard 10-7 upset but 15-2?! And a number 1 getting tossed by a #9 in the second round? And said number 1 (Kansas) was also my pick to win it all. I'll say it again, my brackets are garbage. At this point, I'm just going to root for Michigan State to win it all. I mean, why not?

Despite these upsets on the Men's side, I'd have to say the real story is on the Women's side. It's not anything new to say that the Women's side, historically so far, has been fairly predictable with an upset or two (and we're talking 9-8 upset), with say, Tennessee or UConn winning it all. But yesterday there were some big double-digit upsets--San Diego State (#11) beating #6 Texas (at home!), #11 University of Arkansas Little Rock beating #6 Georgia Tech, and Green Bay (#12!) beating #5 Virginia. Maybe we're hitting a turning point where the Women's side will start getting some March Madness respect of its own. And perhaps get airplay of an entire game of its own. And maybe the NCAA Women's Tournament brackets may be worth a pool of its own someday very soon?

If the Women's tournament continues like yesterday, I'll bet on it.

No comments: