Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Amy Karol's Magic sauce


I started reading Amy Karol's blog a while before actually trying out her book, Bend the Rules Sewing.  And some of my favorites posts are her cooking and food posts.  For those that know me, I'm sure it is no surprise that I would glean the food posts from a sewing author's blog.  Anyhoo, one of my favorite posts was the one for her magic sauce.

As I was cooking for my mom trying to come up with a delicious low-sodium, low-sugar, low-carb, low-cholesterol meal, I decided to try out her magic sauce but without the added sweetener and whittled it down to just:

- a cup of no-salt added salsa (thanks Trader Joe's!)
- a fat spoonful of no-salt added peanut butter
- a little water to thin it out a bit

heated briefly in a pan to warm and blend and then spooned it over a plate of tofu, spinach and carrots, and a whole grain mix.  Sooo good, regardless of the health parameters it fulfilled!  Curious to see if the sweetener and regularly salted ingredients would make it any tastier.  Either way, it was so easy and quick.  I highly recommend this to everyone to zip up any basic, bordering on bland (yet healthy meal), though my mom did call it "that weird sauce".

Definitely a new favorite for me!

2 comments:

Pound said...

that magic sauce is daniel approved! (without the syrup)

Blah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.