Thursday, July 17, 2008

don't know how long I can keep this up

So I came up with a great idea. The two positive things of following the Weight Watchers program is that it has made me drink water and eat lots of vegetables. I've always known drinking 6 glasses of water and eating 5 servings of vegetables/fruit are good things to do and I feel healthier after including them in my day. But these are two things that definitely don't come naturally to me. I treat these like a quota I have to meet. If I didn't have the WW food log to check off that I've consumed the water and greens, it sho 'nuff wouldn't be done.

Because I pretty much dread getting in the water and vegetables, I try to slam down at least 2-3 glasses of water first thing in the morning to help get it over with. I know, I know, I'm supposed to drink the water throughout the day, but that doesn't naturally happen, and this really helps me meet my quota.

So I came up with the great idea to slam down the vegetables first thing in the morning. So for the past three mornings I have steamed up a pot of broccoli and eaten it for breakfast. This wasn't so hard for me since I'm not one of those people who can only eat "breakfast food" for breakfast and "dinner food" for dinner. For me, I could eat spaghetti for breakfast and Lucky Charms for dinner.

The two positives are one--getting the vegetable quota over with first thing in the day and two--I feel ridiculously full and don't feel the desire to eat for hours. And that sort of rolls into the negatives--I feel almost uncomfortably full--the way that consuming a pot of broccoli would probably do for most people, if you catch my drift. My gut feels huge as it's processing all this greenery. And well, you kind of spend the morning keeping your fingers crossed that you'll have some desired "alone" time to manage the natural consequences caused by consuming such massive amounts of fiber at once.

The main problem I've run into is that after 3 straight days of this, I'm getting kind of sick of it. I couldn't even finish it yesterday morning. Plus my old man complains of the distinctive smell of cooking broccoli hitting him first thing in the morning.

sigh. Back to the drawing board to refine my great idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it doesn't mean much, but I think you look great!
"You gotta do what you gotta do!"

Pound said...

yaaaa, all that roughage might be too much. when i eat too much veggies my stomach is just... sick.
you need to space it out. have a little broccoli omelette. then tomatoes w/ lunch. then salad w/ dinner. or something like that. a pot of broccoli every morning would get old... after the first morning lol.

p.s. we need to hook up soon before i leave!!!