Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Shook it like a polaroid picture

Yesterday at work the biggest truck rolled by and shook the office hard. But geez, it was taking forever to pass the building. Maybe it's lots of trucks. Or maybe it's some construction they're doing. With about 30 jackhammers. On our building. Because I could feel the ground shifting and walls swaying.

And then I thought, hmm, maybe this is an earthquake. There was a meeting going on in the room next to me and frankly, I didn't hear them miss a beat. Non-native Californian that I am, I pretty much did all the incorrect things, from standing by my glass window peering out to entertaining the thought of just bolting out of building, every-man-for-himself-style.

Finally someone shouted, okay everyone! Under a doorframe! Which was met by inaction and a chorus of responses...well actually that's not what you're supposed...I heard you go under a desk...isn't there a new procedure?...golden triangle of life...did the lunch lady already swing by?

Bottom line, everyone was fine, though apparently it was one of the strongest earthquakes to hit So Cal in over a decade and rated 5.4 on the Richter scale. Hopefully we're good for another decade...

3 comments:

dad said...

I love earthquakes!..ever since one back in the 80's that spared us from taking a test i hadn't prepared for in social studies class.

Anonymous said...

Wow, being from the east that always freaks me out. I guess it's what you know.
PB

Pound said...

was that your first earthquake? we pretty much don't even move now when we have one lol. we just kinda stop and stare at each other like "oh shit"
you'll get used to it.