Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Save-A-Blade

Until someone pointed it out, I didn't realize that we've bought a lot of stuff off tv. As in "As seen on TV!" stuff.

To our credit we haven't bought everything but enough that folks who visit have remarked on it, like the Table-Mate IIs we have constantly out in the living room. Or the Magic Bullet that we use practically everyday. When I read between the lines of some comments, I hear, I was curious about that product, but I didn't want to be one the suckers who actually bought it.

So I thought, for the benefit of the curious, that I'd try to deliver some reviews of stuff we've bought. As seen on TV!

To kick it off, our most recent purchase: Save-A-Blade.


I didn't realize how much razor blade refills cost until I had to buy them so regularly for Paul (I actually don't use razors myself as I prefer the masochistic options: threading, tweezing, epilating, and occasionally waxing). Anyhoo, it's been eye-opening that these refills cost about (or over!) a dollar each. If it's a brand name refill, Paul says he can get 2 shaves out of 1 refill. Cha-ching! So when I saw the ad for Save-A-Blade, it totally got my attention. At $20, it wouldn't take long for it to make back its money so we tried it out.

The good news is that Paul was pleased that he was able to use a twin blade refill 12 times before he felt it wasn't staying sharp for the amount of time he was running it in the Save-A-Blade. The caveat is they claim you need to start with a new blade and maintain its sharpness rather than try to revive old, dull ones. Paul admits that he was a bit tentative and didn't run the Save-A-Blade as long as he should have in the beginning, but now he feels more comfortable letting it run for a solid 5 seconds as recommended. He does it right after shaving while it's rinsed clean and still wet (as prescribed by the instructions) and I can hear the loud whizzing as he runs the Save-A-Blade on it. Paul also noticed you have to run the Save-A-Blade longer as you try to squeeze more uses out of a refill so he thought 12 was a good point to start with a new refill (got enough re-uses balanced against extra time it was requiring in the Save-A-Blade). He's going to try it next on a refill that has about 5 blades. I'll update if he gets more shaves with this refill, but if we can continue getting 12 shaves per refill, you can color me pleased.

So overall, I give this product a thumbs up. I don't know if one can actually get the "200 shaves from one" refill as promised by the ad, but at the rate we're going, the Save-A-Blade will be earning its keep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

TWO SHAVES??? TWO SHAVES????
I’d think I was the King of Siam if I used my blades only twice!!
Granted, I’m Irish (so that probably helps)-but I don’t want to even mention how long it takes me to get rid of a blade (but it’s MORE THAN TWICE!!).
PB
Ps-Wanted to apologies for the “King of Siam” reference, but I felt it necessary.
When I was a kid watching tv with my dad a question on Hollywood Squares came up:
“What’s the minimal amount of underwear a man can survive on?”-the answer was 15. At that point my dad started yelling at the tv
“15!! 15!! If I owned 15 pairs of underwear I’d think I was the King of Siam!”
I knew that line would come in handy one day…and today is that day! THANKS!

dad said...

that is surprisingly high compared with the 1,627-something shaves i demand from mine...btw, how many houses do you own?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpmFd25tRqo

No Scrolling said...

Granted, I have wimpy facial hair, but I get at least 15 shaves out of my cartridges.

Mine, btw, are the wacky five-bladed kind. Good stuff. But not this five-bladed kind:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930