Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Can

Yesterday, I voted on a historic Election Day in US History. See? I've got the sticker and free cup of Starbucks coffee to prove it:



I reminded my girl that we were watching US history in the making as we all watched as our first African-American president give his victory speech last night. He kicked it off with inspirating words confirming that still, "America is a place where all things are possible." While he recognized the accomplishments of teamwork, focus, and hope, he soberly relayed that there is yet an uphill struggle, "two wars, a planet in peril, the worst financial crisis in a century", and that we would all have to pitch in and work together to succeed, because, America, yes, we can.

We also watched John McCain's concession speech. I have to confess that I haven't seen a lot of these types of speeches but I found McCain's speech a class act with a determined tone to still serve the US, and encouraged his supporters to rally behind our new president. Honestly, I have a lot of respect for McCain--as POW hero to the way he stood up against the current administration and, yes, his own Republican party, on the use of torture in US interrogation. Eight years ago, he was more moderate than the candidate he was in this election. After all, Rush Limbaugh had denounced the possibility of McCain running as the Republican party presidential candidate because Limbaugh deemed McCain wasn't conservative enough. With an non-endorsement like that, I had to give McCain some respect. And last night as he exited the presidential race, he retained honor and respect with his acknowledgment and reverence of this historic election and urging "all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited." Optimistically speaking, thank you, Senator, yes, we can.

On a less optimistic front, Proposition 8 seems to be passing here in California. Currently, eliminating the gay marriage is leading 52% to 48%, with 96% of the precincts reporting. Though I can't believe that a discriminatory amendment that is in violation of the current constitution that bars discrimination based on gender, race, religion, or sexual orientation can be made (and I would wholeheartedly support that fight), it is a sad recognition of civil rights in this state that so many people would vote to support it.

On a related front, since my Amy Winehouse temporary tattoos have outlasted daily showers and 3 trips to the gym since Halloween, I was considering doing a No on 8 version of Conan O'Brien's strike beard. Unfortunately, with the likelihood of the voters passing Prop 8, I might just have to finally scrub these off:

I've been wearing long sleeves to the office, but I have to confess that I've started getting attached to the ones on my forearms:

My daughter, however, is tired of the booby pin-up girl and says I should at least paint a bikini top on her:

Well, with the depressing turnout of trampled civil rights, what excuse do I have to try and keep these temporary tattoos on?

3 comments:

dad said...

Yes on 8 appears to have passed due to the organization of rabid, gay-hating evangelicals, and because voters were tricked into voting against their own interests, as often happens whenever a Republican candidate prevails in an election. I have no doubt, though, that this minor victory for them will be short-lived.

Pound said...

i have that same cup!
and anyone rush limbaugh hates can be a friend of mine. i actually don't think mccain is a bad guy, he's more moderate than most reps. but i was shocked to find out that the yes on prop 8 was ahead. WTF? in ca??!! there are still absentees to be counted though... cross fingers.

and i think everyone is impressed w/ mccain's concession speech.

you're such a scrub w/ those trashy tats. i want some. :P

No Scrolling said...

I love the combo of discussing the vote with the tat pics. (And, yes, very Amy Winehouse :)