Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Be careful what you wish for

I forgot to mention that yesterday, when I was heading off to jury duty around 7am, I was met with what I thought was an ominous sign of my day to come:


Can't quite see it? How about a closer look:


That's right, that would be the internal organs of, I'm guessing, a rat devoured by some bird. The stomach, the large intestines, bits of fur, some mystery organ, and the coup de grace,enough bird poop to signify a good meal was had. Kind of like an avian version of how some people have coffee and cigarettes after a big fancy dinner.

Sure, the first thing that went through my mind was the symbolism of it all as I headed off to jury duty. Was I in for some bureaucratic carnage? Was I going to be torn apart by some kind of jury duty madness? Was the jury system going to take a big dump on me? Or perhaps simply, you're in for a bad day, lady.

Well, my jury duty was as easy and comfortable as anyone could hope for so it didn't seem indicative of that. Then I realized that the night before, as I was walking from my car to the house, I saw a rat run across the sidewalk. I totally gave a shocked shriek and I was telling Paul about it and ranted on how I wish something could be done about the rats in the neighborhood.

I was telling the girl about it this morning and she pointed to the car and said, Be careful what you wish for, Mom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this scene! Full of guts and glory! Some animal/bird/creature had a Happy New Year feast. This almost needs to go on YouTube. -vmm