Monday, February 1, 2010

Busy Saturday

Saturday was busy, but perhaps not totally productive. I took the girl to a girls day of sports, a free event here at UCI.

After checking her in, the staff told her to wait on the side for a helper to bring her in a group to the actual activity site. My heart broke a little when she said, so you can go, Mom. I asked her, don't you want me to wait with you until they take you up to the site? And she goes, no, I'm fine, buh-bye. Okay, she didn't channel David Spade and say, buh-bye but that's what it felt like. Sigh. Sometimes I miss my baby girl.

Anyhoo, I left her to go return a huge sack of cans and bottles for deposit. I used to be torn about just putting the cans and bottles in the recycling bin vs. spending my time returning them for the 5 cent deposit but on average I spend 10 minutes, once a month, turning my returns in for about $8-10 which isn't the biggest waste of time. Unless the day comes and I'm standing behind this:

The best part? The mother keeps directing her roughly-13-year-old son to bring out more bags from their van. The boy, wearing a t-shirt that says "FBI: Female Body Inspector", keeps bringing out these monster bags of bottles that I'm guessing are a couple hundred in each. Good fortune shines on me as there are two people working that day and another person takes my collection and I'm out in under 10 minutes.

A highlight was hanging with my friend Linda and grabbing lunch at Native Foods. She got the Soul Bowl and I got the Gandhi Bowl:

I had actually ordered the Hollywood Bowl, but it worked out okay--the Gandhi Bowl was delicious. It's a bit pricier than typical lunch food because it's organic and vegan but it's really tasty. The big surprise--see that drink? It's a Watermelon Agua Fresca and it tasted just like watermelon. Not some fakey, Jolly Rancher version of watermelon, but straight-up watermelon. Sooooo good. They also had an iced tea and lavender lemonade. I have a slight hang-up with food flavored with lavender. It's one of my favorite scents and love it when I can find lotion with lavender in it. So it kind of weirds me out when food or drink has lavender in it. I feel like I'm eating lotion.

The day got even better when we went to Pinkberry for dessert. She got plain tart with mango and I got the pomegranate with raspberries and mochi balls:

Sweet.

I rounded out the day with having my mother-in-law over for dinner--lentil soup, red cabbage slaw, and a sourdough boule with butter--yum. Real butter is so heavenly. The girl and I capped off the evening with some RockBand and Boogie SuperStar and finally, snuggling up on the couch for a mini-marathon of Glee and popcorn. At least she still likes to snuggle.

So Saturday wasn't my most productive. But I spent time with people--which to me isn't exactly a waste of time either. In fact, one might say it's precious time well-spent.

1 comment:

No Scrolling said...

buh-bye. so sad.

Anders is, for the moment, moving in the other direction - after some period of time where he generally failed to even check if his parents were following him when he ran hither and thither, he now usually tries to keep track of us.

Oh, and Native Foods - Sigrid and I went to Palm Springs during Anders's second trimester. Our primary purpose was to satisfy Sigrid's wish to see the Salton Sea, and secondarily to see Salvation Mountain (which is very cool).

But while we were there, we ate dinner one night at the Palm Springs Native Foods - really tasty!