Friday, January 29, 2010

What I learned this week

I learned a few things this week:

First, I love it when I can use stuff in my craft stash for stuff beyond scrapbooking or the original use I got it for. I lost the belt to my long sweater, like, immediately. My crafty friend Linda, suggested looking through said craft stash for some grosgrain ribbon to fit the bill. I found one in a very agreeable color and length. I really like how it looks instead of empty belt loops.

Unfortunately, I discovered that my work-appropriate snuggie looks like a bathrobe when I tie it up. It completes the picture when I have a mug of coffee in my hand--someone commented that all I needed was my hair up in rollers. So now I kind of have to wear the sweater open, like a work-appropriate snuggie cape.

Another thing I learned is that it's so hard to limit yourself to top ten movies. I almost immediately had to edit yesterday's post to include "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". And of course, after comparing top ten lists at lunch, I realized that there are some other great (whether sentimental, relatable, moving, well-crafted, etc.) that I forgot about:

- "Office Space"
- "Idiocracy"
- "There's Something About Mary"
- "Forest Gump"
- "Lord of the Rings" trilogy
- "The Professional"
- "The Sixth Sense"
- "The Karate Kid"
- "The Breakfast Club"
- "Boogie Nights"

And I also want to check out some movies after our discussion: "The Science of Sleep", "Hustle and Flow", "The Lives of Others", and, of course, "Pulp Fiction".

Finally, I discovered that Eddie Vedder still has an amazing voice. I feel like there's been a black hole in the last dozen years where I didn't really follow or explore new music. I recently heard "Hunger Strike" on the radio (which was from when I used to regularly listen to new music) and then heard him on Pearl Jam's recently released "Just Breathe". I can tell his voice has changed somewhat through the last years but it's still as rich as ever. Anybody have an opinion on the new album?

Anyhoo as I head into the weekend, I have high, high hopes of productivity.

Wish me luck.

No comments: