Thursday, January 28, 2010

Top Ten movie list, for now

A friend at work and I were loosely talking about favorite movies and we challenged each other to come up with a list of top ten movies. The intent was to be somewhat reflexive with no hard rules or pressure that the movies had to be critical or technical masterpieces. Also it was a list for now--it wasn't supposed to be some fixed life list--kind of a gut reaction top ten list.

I generated my list from movies that moved me, inspired me, or thrilled me. The caveat is that I haven't seen some classic or awesome movies, e.g., "Saving Private Ryan" or "Pulp Fiction", so please don't yell at me that I excluded some brilliant film. I just probably haven't seen it. And again, it's just loose gut reaction--I'm sure I'll feel I've left some great movies out by the weekend. Anyhoo here are my picks in no particular order (BTW, with three exceptions, I cried in each one):

Dumbo: Honestly, I'm not a blind devotee for Disney films (my rant on their Princess films is for another day), but for a Disney animated film, this movie articulated so much: the strength of maternal devotion, the cruelty of others (whether it is other mothers, those who dream of money with no thought of consequence, etc.), the "black feather" in all of us, and of course the big overlying message: taking what others may consider your biggest flaw, owning it and making it a strength. And of course, only an animated film made in the first half of the last century would realize underage drinking as such a cutesy, adorable trip.

Terminator 2: My God, when I saw Linda Hamilton doing those pull-ups in her cell, I was like, now that is one tough mother. I never had much affinity for damsel in distress movies and this one gifted us with the opposite. The movie had a simple universal storyline--save the world--and awesome action sequences to get there. It could only have been better if Michael Biehn's character from the first one was there. Don't worry, I didn't cry watching this one.

Hero: First off, with any foreign language film, you have to watch the non-dubbed version (with subtitles). I can't stand how dubbed versions can change a whole performance and even wreck a movie for me. Anyhoo, even though Hero is heavy in "Wire-Fu", the fight choreography (and yes, I love that there are both male and female fighters) is still amazing and beautiful. The stories are told from different points of view and the use of color and visuals are gorgeous. The underlying story of dying for a much bigger principle, i.e. unifying your country, is powerfully executed here.

Holes: For a movie aimed at kids, this movie has it all, a mystery, a love story, mythology, some action, and comedy. I loved Shia LeBeouf in this. Yes, I cried watching this movie, dammit.

Sign 'O' the Times: First I'll be the first to say I don't enjoy watching taped live music shows. When I watch SNL reruns, I generally fast forward through the music portion. But this featured Prince's music at one of his brilliant peaks and featured two of my favorite female poster women of my youth: Sheila E and Cat. Sheila E was an amazing percussionist in her own right and when Prince featured her as his drummer--women were really breaking out in places that were predominantly assumed by men. And Cat! Cat came out just when I needed her. At a time, when women were expected to be thin, pretty things that were lovely to look at (which was, and is, soooo not me), Cat arrived. With a body and carriage that exuded strength, not skinny, Cat owned the stage with such confidence, she literally reclassified sexy in my mind. BTW, I did not cry at any point in this film.

The Shawshank Redemption: Whenever this movie is on, I always get sucked in. The crafting of this gripping film that includes uncompromising views of prison life, different natures of man, hope, wit, humor, and determination is a work of art. Especially when you add Morgan Freeman's buttery baritone narration.

The Big Lebowski: I distinctly remember falling in love with Philip Seymour Hoffman after his scene-stealing performance in this movie. Overall the cast is outstanding from Jeff Bridges to Julianne Moore to Peter Stormare to John Turturro and on and on. It's a killer combo of mystery and comedy when the premise is watching a stoner solve the puzzle of mistaken identity. PS, didn't cry in this one either.

Shaun of the Dead: Yes, I know this movie owes alot to various predecessors, but this movie is brilliant in its satiric look of zombies in the modern day. The Everyman as unlikely hero is not a new concept but it's both hilariously and movingly executed in this movie by Simon Pegg.

Tampopo: This is, hands-down, one of my favorite movies of all time. If I could get my hands on a subtitled version of this, I would make it a ritual to watch it every year with some sort of party. It's a Japanese movie that has a main storyline of a struggling noodle shop interspersed with funny (some moving) vignettes of food's relationship with various facets of life. If you ever have a chance to see this movie, see it.

Precious: Well I won't bother repeating what I said before, but this movie is astounding.

And there it is, so far. I sure would LOVE to hear anybody else's favorite movies!

Edited
: How could I forget another one of my favorite movies of all time? Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a fantastic movie on the relationship of memory particularly in personal relationships. This movie while being both conceptually and visually out-of-the-box and arresting is wisely illuminating and uncompromising on love and long-term relationships. I can't believe I forgot about this movie--I really, really love it. Hmmm, I guess I'd have it replace "Holes" on my list. Darn, limiting to ten is hard.

4 comments:

Blah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

La Femme Nikita (the orig French version) and My Life as a Dog are my fav foreign films. I don't think I could limit myself to 10, well done my friend...

Pound said...

i like your list, and i used to go to a place called tampopo. :)

Pound said...

oh also you forgot- need to watch memento and the prestige. oh and also usual suspects.