Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Finally, he gets the girl

When this came out, I had absolutely no interest in seeing it:


But, then I saw that James Marsden was playing the love interest, so in the end, I had to see it. Because I had to witness James Marsden FINALLY get the girl.

In some of the biggest hit movies, like The Notebook, Superman Returns, Enchanted, and all three X-Men movies, Marsden has played the sweet and devoted beau who is passed over for someone else. It's not like his characters are jerks or a**holes that you're rooting for the female lead to leave--he's like the good looking sweetheart that your parents would be thrilled if you got knocked up by him. So it was sweet relief to see him end up with the girl in this one. Oooo, did I give something away? Sorry.

Regarding the movie, it's pretty formulaic, though highlights include the lead characters trying to sing the Elton John's "Benny & the Jets", because does anyone really know the lyrics? Also, right before the big kiss, Marsden's expression of sweet relief during his "I cried like a baby at the Teller wedding" line was the perfect. If I didn't know any better, the relief behind that was, at long last, I'm finally getting the girl. Also Judy Greer is a scene-stealer as Heigl's buddy.

Besides the formulaic ending where everyone is happy (ouch, sorry, did I give something away again?), I also got distracted in the "Benny & the Jets" scene by the background actors. I'm pretty sure the director said, ok, when these two start singing to the Elton John song, you guys are going get into it, have fun and start to sing along.

Well, I think think the direction they heard was, ok, when these two start singing to the Elton John song, react like they're spinning straw into gold and burping diamonds. Then get into it like you're rocking out at a Who concert. Oh, and then start singing along.

Perhaps that's just me. Anyhoo, bottom line, see this if you want to behold Marsden finally winning the girl. Actually I have no idea if there are older Marsden movies where he wins the girl--feel free to enlighten me if there are.

On another note, to a super sweet guy in real life who happens to be my buddy's nephew:

Happy Birthday Travis!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Frances, I can't remember if I contacted you after I picked up the Dymo at Oasis but again THANK YOU. It is just so cool. I am having fun playing with it. :-)