Monday, February 16, 2009

A big fat Valentine's Day


Paul surprised me and Velina with Starbucks and doughnuts on Valentine's morning:

Lattes (and a hot chocolate for the girl) and a sweet pink box of Old-Fashioneds (and a frosted cake one special for the girl) made for an awesomely delicious and fattening Valentine's Day. Despite developing my third chin, it was such a sweet surprise. I loved it.


Old-fashioned doughnuts are my hands-down favorite. Back east, they're sometimes called Buttermilk doughnuts. I used to call them Oopsies because it looks like someone splatted the doughnut dough and fried them anyway. Feel free to call them that too.

I got a little crafty and made valentines for Paul and Velina:

For Paul's card I used some of Velina's fuse beads, which was a total pain in the butt--yeesh those beads are so tiny. I thought I was being so arty putting a little heart inside a balloon inside a bigger heart except when it was done I realized it looked like a sperm instead of a balloon. Paul was more disappointed that it wasn't candy when he felt the lumpy valentine. Velina's card has one of the few photos of me and her together (from Halloween).

Inside, beside some sweet babbling, I downloaded some vintage valentine images from here for the tagline of the valentine. Totally love those old valentines.

Overall a low-key Valentine's Day--the girl was pretty sick all weekend. I picked up takeout (and my old man surprised us AGAIN with a heart-shaped balloon for the girl and chocolate-covered strawberries for dessert) and the three of us watched Bedazzled, which is an okay-cute movie (I'd give it a B-) but kind of made me want to see the original with Dudley Moore and Peter Cook.

Still, a very sweet, sweet Valentine's Day.

1 comment:

Pound said...

maaaaaaaaan i want a donut now! but i like the regular ones, not the cake ones. sooo fluffy... mmmm