Tuesday, June 28, 2011

FIFA Women's World Cup 2011

Anyone watching the Women's World Cup? I caught the USA opener vs. North Korea today. Last year, I got on board with the Men's World Cup, so I'm trying to ramp up for the Women's games.

Again, even though I hope the USA team tops out, whenever I watch any North Korean team (or I guess any team from an "exalted-supreme-leader" country) play, I kind of pity-root for them. Like, are there dire repercussions if they lose, like Uday Hussein's reputed torture of the Iraqi football team when they lost?  The goalie for the DPRK made quite a few saves and I feel like after each one, she had this sigh of relief, my family eats another day...

Well, USA topped out the DPRK 2-0 (though they had actually scored a 3rd goal--which was taken back as the forward kicked the ball as the goalie was diving for it and was technically touching the ball, which counts as possession by the goalie). But the DPRK have a chance to make it out of this group if they can beat Colombia and Sweden. #Pity-Root!

As I was listening to the commentators at half-time, there was a moment that recalled one of those awkward transitions on a news programs when they go from a story about some horrible crime to a human interest piece on someone growing the biggest pumpkin:

Ian Darke: North Korea, in their all red outfit about to start the 2nd half here at a boiling hot Dresden--part of the old East Germany. We're in the Dynamo Dresden Football Club stadium. A club that was once an arm of the East German secret police...the Stasi.

Julie Foudy: What a beautiful city this is...

Ian Darke: ...

Julie Foudy: ...

Ian Darke: It's been...it's been lovingly rebuilt, hasn't it?

Julie Foudy: Yeah...

Ian Darke: That's of no concern to the USA, who have a job to do here!

2 comments:

Blah said...

I'm watching Morning Joe and they just showed a quote by a North Korean PR official explaining the loss: on June 8, the team got hit by lightning.

Pound said...

don't you know the north koreans are the best in the world in soccer, golf, engineering, and car manufacturing (in all 3 dimensions and planes of existence)? duh.