Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Humanity

Last Monday after getting the taxes in, I was so mad at the girl for forgetting to write down her school trip 2 hours away on the calendar because we had a rescheduled orthodontist appointment for one that she missed without canceling 24 hours in advance. Because of this school trip, we would miss this new appointment too and it was too late to call so they were probably going to charge me the $25 cancellation fee that the office forgave the last time.

Then later in the day, of course, the horrible Boston Marathon bombs.

Then Paul comes home, rushing in, "Please tell me the girl is riding my bike!" Of course she wasn't. I had left the garage door open when I got home earlier and at some point in the hours between that and Paul's return, someone swiftly rode (STOLE) his bike (that he riding to work, weather permitting) out of our garage.

Obviously our little events pale enormously to what happened in Boston, but the cumulative summary to me was that People Suck. In our little neighborhood, I wanted to believe that we're all good people, in the same boat, and leaving the garage door open during the day while I was home wasn't too much to ask for. I felt stupid and I could hear multiple voices give a sighed eyeroll to my naive trust. In this day and age, what did I expect after all?

Times that by a million for the community of the Boston Marathon. What should have been an event that reveres the human spirit and will achieving such a grueling athletic feat in a city celebrating Patriots Day became a nightmare. It's harder to think of clearer examples of innocent victims than those who died and were injured and maimed by these bombers.

What a bleak damn day.

Then I had heard about Patton Oswalt's Facebook post:

Boston. Fucking horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."
Needless to say, this post came at the right time.  "The good outnumber you, and we always will."  Such a reminder in the faith of humanity is just what I needed to hear.  And perhaps to drive the point home, when I told a friend about what happened to Paul's bike, she volunteered lending her mountain bike that she hadn't been using.  And the icing on the cake, was when I called the orthodontist office about missing the appointment because of a field trip, the woman laughed and said, "Is that just like kids? Let's just reschedule that..." without any mention of the cancellation fee.

I am so grateful for these breaks.  Maybe People don't suck after all.

No comments: