Monday, April 22, 2013

Put this bus in top gear: RIP, Christine Amphlett

Christine Amphlett, lead singer of the Divinyls passed away yesterday.  I loved this first album (yes, I have it on vinyl), "Desperate" so much.  I would listen (and sing along) to the whole thing all the time.  In retrospect, I should have included her on my list of strong and sexy women.  She exuded that  toughness that I dig so much.  And apparently it wasn't just an act--she was fighting both breast cancer and multiple sclerosis until the very end.


I also absolutely loved her voice.  Her voice, persona, and songs had not only that strength but also a vulnerability that I appreciated so much (on a related note, voices I appreciate similarly is Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill).  Though her voice lives on in the songs I will be playing ad nauseum today, I am sad that she won't be making any more music.

Sigh. I guess I'll just watch this video over and over.

No comments: