Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

You ever have one of those days where you have longest yet most unproductive and frustrating day at work only to come home to your cat peeing in a basket of your clean clothes?

Anyhoo, at 9pm the night of such a day, the doorbell rings. At first I'm annoyed at whoever is ringing a doorbell at 9pm and as I approach my mind visualizes who could be at the door to make this day much, much worse because hey, I've seen commercials for The Strangers or Funny Games and in a cruel way, it would be the icing on the cake.

Fortunately I'd been given a reprieve from the heavens or more accurately, gifts from the gods. I open the front door to the Girl Scout I had placed an order with weeks ago. And she was delivering the 9 boxes of sweet manna I really needed to balance out a crappy day. Sure there's winning the lottery, but realistically, the day couldn't have ended on a better up note. I wrote out the check and thanked our Girl Scout and clutched our haul inside.

I told Velina to pour glasses of milk and I raced upstairs to change out of work clothes into appropriate cookie-eating attire. I came back downstairs in sweats and engaged in the most blissful gluttony with my family.

The next morning, we saw the remains of a Girl Scout cookie version of a hedonistic rock star's night of debauchery--open boxes strewn about various flat surfaces, the freshness wrappers on floor, nearly stepping on or kicking the empty plastic cookie trays. I believe the next morning the thought, whoa, what were we thinking last night? literally went through my mind.

At this point, we have 3 unopened boxes left. Sigh. Even Christmas morning has to end.

2 comments:

Pound said...

ah, the GSC binge. feels so good, then the next day you hate yourself. oh btw have you tried freezing the thin mints? they're good like that.
:P

Anonymous said...

Where are mine????
-PB