Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Don't get Clooneyed

Sometimes after working a long day (and knowing I've some more time to put in at work) I'll take a mental break and go to the MSN home page and see the latest news. And...perhaps some gossip. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that despite starting at a legit and presumably firewalled-up-the-wazoo site like the MSN home page, that as you hit links to connecting stories, the new pages may be other sites that aren't as firewalled as msn.

The hard way includes having to call the guy who handles IT issues (among other things) on his commute home and shamefully confess that I might have gotten a virus on my PC. Oooo, how, you ask? Well, I was on the MSN home page and I hit these links... He snorts something along the lines of ech, you're screwed, see you in the morning.

The hard way includes losing an entire day at work (and having to stay really late the next day--Friday--to catch up) while I lose all my music and photos because my hard drive has to be wiped clean and get Windows reinstalled.

The hard way includes everyone hearing you got demoted to "restricted" access to the internet and I swear, getting a much older and lamer version of Windows Media Player installed. It's a combo punishment of wearing the Scarlet letter and having my stealing hand cut off and being forced to eat with my wiping hand. On the plus side, everyone has been on edge on where they go on the internet now which apparently should lessen the chances of getting another PC infected at work. Hooray for them.

Bottom line, don't fall for the links that claim George Clooney Finally Falls in Love--For Reals!

It's not worth it. On so many levels.

1 comment:

david said...

How come its always the gals in the office who download these viruses? ;)