Thursday, November 5, 2009

Tell me what to do

The belt on my turntable snapped, thus rendering it unplayable.

A friend at work said I could probably get another belt at a Guitar Center or place that still might sell turntables. Of course, it's been on my to do list for a couple of months now. But as luck would have it, my neighbor was giving away her old turntable and now I have a working turntable. Hooray for me--I have had a serious yen to hear Prince's "Under a Cherry Moon" for weeks and I only have it on vinyl.

So here is my dilemma--what to do with the old turntable? My first instinct was Yay, I get to toss it! But now another voice is saying, yeesh, it's perfectly good--it just needs a new belt. Keep it on hand, and if this one breaks, you'll just need a new belt for it. Maybe I could even harvest this one for parts! Obviously it's a fight between the purger in me and the greener non-waster (and don't say pack rat, 'cause I'm not, dang it!).

What should I do? Bear in mind that I'm pretty lazy as I hadn't gotten the simple belt that would have fixed the original turntable in the first place.

I await guidance.

4 comments:

Blah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
No Scrolling said...

Isn't it obvious? You have two turntables. Now you need a microphone.

No Scrolling said...

Seriously, though, unless you really want to hold onto a spare turntable, it seems like a good freecyle option.

You can tell people they can get a replacement belt here:

http://www.turntablebasics.com/belts.html

Heidi said...

Toss it!