Friday, November 6, 2009

Who knew that your thumb did so much?

Those who know me well know that I am not gifted at softball--definitely the weakest link on my company team, but fortunately they're good sports about it. Especially when I manage to get the amazingly stupidest injuries. Once, I managed to give myself a black eye by batting a ball into my own face. Nothing like stumbling back to a dugout full of concerned yet bewildered faces trying to grasp how it was even possible to injure myself like that.

Last night when I was up at bat, I managed to hit the ball so far down the stick that I crushed my thumb into the pitched ball. It bled a lot at the cuticle seam--someone thought I might have damaged the nail bed and I might lose my nail--ugh. But it was the swelling that got the better of me. It was like my thumb was trying on my skin and said, hmmm, this is a bit snug, can I try on a Large?



The worst part was the harsh reality of how much I use my thumb for like, everything. When I was pulling out of the parking lot after the game, I had to use two hands to release my parking brake and put my car in Drive. I iced it when I got home, but I didn't have any Advil or Tylenol except for my daughter's Junior Rapid Tabs. I chewed down 4 and hoped it was close to an adult dose because I didn't feel like driving again.

This morning was marginally better but still things like opening a ziploc bag proved difficult. Kind of surprising how much your thumb braces the activities of the other fingers, but now I know.

So of course my mind starts to theorize, if I had to choose which finger I'd rather have injured, which would it be? Obviously, not my thumb. And the other glaring non-choice would be my pointer. The obnoxious immature version of myself thinks it would be hilarious for my middle finger to be swollen up, but that joke would run its course pretty quickly. So I'm thinking pinky. Anybody else have a better theory?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Miss Lee,

If I may throw my hat into this ring, I think I could make the argument that the ring finger is the one to go. Being longer and stronger than a pinky but far less necessary to your daily activities than a thumb, index or middle finger, a missing ring finger could: provide a nifty tool for scratching albums (as per Michael Kwun's comment) and therefore solve your extra turntable dilemma, make your hand more slender so as to reach more easily out of that funny car window of yours, give you a three to four ounce boost for your diet, make crafting less clumsy, distract your MMA opponents enough for you to catch them off their guard and floor them, and lastly, make your husband jealous that you're not wearing a ring...and all your legion of male admirers more optomistic, of course. And after all, how bad could that really be?