Monday, August 23, 2010

Hitting the garage

Well, enough crying about the heat, weird DVDs, and eating a dozen donuts in one sitting. Last night I decided to do something productive. So I decided on the garage. We were advised to seal in the concrete floor of the garage with a sealer, so I bought a can of this per the advice of the guy at Lowe's:


This is the garage floor before:


And this is the garage after two coats of sealer (one last night and another this morning):


I guess this is the part where I state that no one should ever hire me as a contractor. When I first starting rolling out this sealer last night I just poured out a bunch on the floor and rolled it out. I learned that this sealer kind of leaves some dark staining and left marks in the shape of a splashy puddle and a ring where I left the dribbly sealer can. I will also confess that fumes from this particular varnish seemed to cause moths to faint onto the garage floor last night. And that said moths may be sealed on to my garage floor. Overall, the sealer seems to have worked as I forgot to turn off the sprinklers and some of the water misted into the garage and beaded up on the floor. Success.

The other task advised was painting the garage walls to prevent mold growth here in the humid Southeast. So I enlisted the girl:


Who had a pretty good attitude about it:


I told her that I'd take her to the "Scott Pilgrim" movie (she's been reading the comics) when we finished the garage. She said Yay!


Poor girl. She obviously hasn't read any of the reviews.

Anyhoo, we got about a fourth, maybe a third of the way done:


The ceiling will be the worst. I don't know if you can tell from the picture but the corners are giving me a hard time. The roller doesn't go to the edges and I have a gap at these corners. I used a brush to fill in but what am I supposed to use for the corners I can't reach, like between the wall and the ceiling, or even high up on the walls? Anybody? I would totally appreciate any advice.

3 comments:

Pound said...

haha i love that you have moths stuck to the floor!!!
and i would totally take v to see that movie!

No Scrolling said...

It's a garage floor. I think the moths add character.

As for the ceiling/wall boundary - get a step ladder?

Kristen said...

better the moths are dead in your floor than flying around your house. They can get pretty big in the south.
PS. I like the blue color for the walls. Keep up the good work - so close to being done.