Sunday, August 29, 2010

Moved into SC

The movers just dropped a million boxes here. Despite leaving a full dumpster and 4 garbage bags (and multiple trips to the GoodWill) in SoCal, I'm regretting not purging/donating more before I left. I'd want to punch myself if I wasn't so tired.

Man I hope I can dig out my printer soon.

On a different and very warm and welcoming note, an old friend who went to my high school posted this commercial for me on his blog. Thanks my friend, I hope to have a Blue Bell country day some day. Well maybe not when the girls are about to do the ol' pull-the-tooth-out-with-string-tied-to-a-doorknob thing. But my friend's post made me realize that there are certain commercials and jingles that connect me to different areas of the country.

A jingle that totally reminds me of New York is the one for Loew's movie theaters. The closing jingle "Thank you for coming to Loew's--sit back and relax--enjoy the show!" was branded in your brain so easily that it was even mocked in an SNL sketch. I don't think Loew's is around anymore (or maybe they became another theater) but I can still hear that jingle in my dreams.



For my time in SoCal (specifically Orange County), the commercial I'd associate is the one for LightningMMA. (It was unfortunately shot when I was getting back into shape, not when I was already in good form.)



I have such great memories of MMA training in SoCal--first with Erik Paulson and then with James Wilks at LightningMMA. As age and weight have crept up on me, I feel very mediocre at this point, but I enjoy and miss it a lot.

I know there are others--I'm sure they'll come to mind. Anybody else? I would love to read/hear/see any other suggestions that ties you to "home" or any specific locale.

No comments: