Monday, August 9, 2010

Moving Out/Olala/Vy Da

Today was the big day. Movers came and took almost everything. Of course, I was still packing stuff when they got here until they left close to 6. And that was with some very kind friends still helping me. And of course I found a few things accidentally left behind--a chair, a curtain rod, etc. Unfortunately, those items won't be seeing the East Coast.

Afterwards, two good friends (K and V) and I tried out Olala Reflexology. Perfect timing. They feature full body massage/reflexology in this dark communal room full of comfy recliners. Wow, re-reading that sentence makes me realize I'm not doing this place justice. Everyone remains clothed (note to self--remember to wear comfy tank and sweats instead of jeans) and it's very quiet and peaceful as the masseurs go through a set routine of head, neck, body, and foot massage. It seems talking any specifics is verboten, which was fine with me. What makes this amazing is the fee is only $15 (plus tip--I gave $10). For $25, getting a one hour workover was a gift especially after such a long moving day. The only totally sucky part? I'm leaving this town. Anyhoo, don't we look relaxed?


Afterwards we ate at Vy Da, which was a couple of doors down. Food here caters from the Hue region. We shared Banh Beo Chen Vy Da (Vy Da's Steam Rice Cake with Dry Ground Shrimp), which are little rice cakes with dried shrimp and onion and you spoon some fish sauce on top:


Delish. We ended up eating two orders:


I also enjoyed Bun Tom Nuong (rice noodes with BBQ shrimp)--yes I ate the whole thing by myself:


K let me try some of her Bun Bo Hue Vy Da Dac Biet (Vy Day's Hot and spicy beef noodle soup), which featured congealed beef blood, rice noodles, and basil:


What a great night to end an exhausting day. Though I have to say it was weird coming to an empty house:


Guess I really am moving.

1 comment:

Pound said...

that congealed blood sounds appetizing.