Wednesday, April 30, 2008

It's too loud and I'm too old

Disneyland. I haven't been there in a couple of years but my sister was in town and I had some free passes so we decided to go yesterday.



First off, I don't know when my equilibrium went out of whack but I get pretty ill from most rides--especially any that go in a circle. Second, I'm a total wiener when it comes to most rides deemed "thrilling", e.g. roller coasters. Third, I can be a pretty big crank when it comes to parking and lines.

Lucky for us it was a beautiful day to go and because it was a Tuesday--not so busy. I tried some rides for the first time: the Matterhorn, Indiana Jones ride, Pirates of the Caribbean, Autopia, Star Tours, and the Mark Twain riverboat.

Velina really wanted to try Space Mountain and thankfully my sister volunteered to go with her. I bowed out due to a seared-in nightmare of a memory of trying Space Mountain in Disney World when I was 10. So I waited it out in the shade by the stroller parking with an elderly guy parked on an electric scooter with 2 purses and a sippy cup in his basket. My sister and Velina came out alive and my sister said because she was imagining it from my horrified 10 year old mind she got a touched freaked. Velina survived as well though she said it wasn't her favorite ride.

On the Pirates of the Caribbean ride--is there a story? I could not follow it for my life! I saw the Jack Sparrow character peeking around but what was with huge royal bed with the skeleton sleeping in it? It was like a loud, creepy version of the "it's a Small World" ride.

Plus I can't believe we waited 45 minutes for Autopia! That was the only long line and we thought, wow, it must be good. Ugh, how hard is it to keep your foot on the pedal? Am I that out of shape? I nearly strained a hammy keeping that car going.

Overall though, good day at Disney--got to ride the Matterhorn about 3-4 times and the Indiana Jones rides twice. It was beautiful weather where I would have been fine curled up on one of the park benches on Main Street. And of course, when you're with family having a good time, it's all good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HaHa, you fell for Autopia sucka!
:)-gravitas!

Jamie Ko said...

um how come you didn't go on Buzz Lightyear? that's one of our regular, go-to rides because you get to compete against each other in laser shooting Emperor Zurg. you get a score at the end, and you can email the picture of yourself too!

yes, I've been to Dland a few many times...annual passholder going on year 5....

Pound said...

girl you just dogged all of ethan's fave rides :P
you crotchety old lady, you. ha!

Anonymous said...

Did you do Finding Nemo? That line was the only one I couldn't handle (so we didn't make it).
The reason Autopia is so long is because it's an old ride and they never really worked out how to handle crowds (though when I went it was only a 3 minute wait).
PB

Anonymous said...

I agree with PB - there were operational inefficiencies at Autopia, but at least they had those hilarious! puns on the big screen to entertain us. I am curious if the wait feels longer because you are just standing looking at the many people in line ahead of you, as opposed to Indy Jones and Space Mtn where you walk a mile past the gates to get on...