Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Sweet and Easy - No Fooling

My first tutorial! Something sweet...

I put some jelly beans (from the awesome post-Easter sales) in a ziplock sandwich bag. The snack bags that are a third the height would be better but I haven't seen those around lately. Squeeze out the air and zip the bag close.


Then take some pattern paper cut to the width of the bag by twice the height of the final cover height. Was that worded in a very confusing way? If so, I think the pix might help. Here I used some Creative Memories Storybox papers, which are precut like photo mats: 4 1/2" x 6 1/2". These are perfect for this project. I used a border punch (alternatively I've used decorative scissors, like scallop cut) along the edges after folding in half, lengthwise.

Then I folded down the top of the bag, so it would fit under the decorative cover.

Then I stapled the cover fairly close to center--I try to staple through the zipper portion of the bag for extra stability. If you want, you can staple a couple of times on the ziplock bag (again along the zipper portion) before stapling the cover on.


I printed labels using Word (and WordArt for the circular printing). My current fave fonts: Circus Ornate ("sweet") and Loki Cola ("you rule") from dafont.com. I printed two different ones for both sides of the cover.

Then I placed the labels over the staple (in the front and back).

Wha la! Check out these sweet sweets!


I made a basket of these for a fundraiser thank you gift. I've also done a version of these for my sister-in-law's wedding as wedding favors. You could make your own die-cuts (for example, die cut hearts or other themed shapes) or other embellishments instead of labels but printing out labels really makes the process quicker when you're making over ten of these.

So, next time you're looking to make sweet and easy (especially on the wallet) favors or gifts, try making a set of these!

No comments: