Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sweet P

A very sweet coworker, who I'll call Sweet P, surprised me with a red bean bun and bread loaf from 85(degrees)C bakery, a bakery/coffeehouse famous from Taiwan. The line is usually out the door of this place but she said she hit it at just the right time and brought back these baked goods for me:

Good gracious, these tasty goods brought me back to the Chinatown bakeries when I lived in New York over a dozen years ago--it practically brought tears to my eyes. You know that scene in Ratatouille when the food critic tastes the titular dish and he has an immediate flashback to the comfort of the food as a child that it brings a tear to his stern face? It was like that. The bread is slightly sweet with a slightly chewy yet light texture--it's kind of a light dessert rather than sandwich bread, a kind of cotton candy of breads. And red bean buns are one of my all-time favorite desserts and this one did not disappoint--a generous amount of sweet red bean filling inside a chewy, moist, subtly sweet bun. Soooooo good.

Well, it happened to be her birthday this month so I decorated a jar (appropriately titled "sweet" and filled it with awesome Nerds jelly beans. The Nerds coating really make them extra delicious.

Sweets for the Sweet!

No comments: