Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Chollima Down on a long day


Woke up at 5am to catch the Portugal-North Korea match-up. I was intrigued by this match up--my nature is to root for the underdog and I was also curious about this secretive North Korean team that didn't do too badly last week against the number 1 team in the world, Brazil, losing only 2-1. And there have already been some interesting upsets--Spain losing to Switzerland, Cameroon already out of the Finals. So who knew what World Cup magic might happen this morning?

Very little apparently. Despite an exciting start in the beginning where the Chollima were down in near-scoring zone, Portugal eventually "took them to the sword" and won 7-0. Ouch.

By the 4th goal, there was a part of me that really regretted not sleeping in. Well at least I could go to bed early tonight.

Unless...your daughter has a pioneer trail the next day and you have to put together a covered wagon made with swimming noodles and a bed sheet:


And you have to dig out a pioneer outfit cobbled together from an old suit skirt and shirt:


I was also supposed to put together a dozen treats for these little pioneers. We went to the store to get some more cookie mix but I said everyone is going to be bringing sweets, what about something different, like trail mix? The girl gave me the face she displays when I suggest getting her friends clothes instead of video games for their birthdays. (Side note: ironically, I recognize that as a kid I hated getting clothes instead of toys for my birthdays but now as a parent, it seems like such an awesome idea. Why is that?) We compromised on snack bags of Sun Chips. No baking!


This little pioneer says, Happy Trails!

3 comments:

Pound said...

several points- you're a freak for waking up early for soccer. dvr!!

2nd- omg that noodle wagon!!! bwahahahha and the outfit! not so much pioneer woman as 80s old office lady.

and you can make velina verrrry happy w/ that r4 card and surprising her w/ it. :P

Unknown said...

I wonder how many Americans felt "sorry" for the Soviet Olympians back in the 50's-80's.
Is is different b/c these guys are getting molly-whopped? What happens if they were winning all their games 7-0?

No Scrolling said...

Was this another instance of learning about a school project the night before it's due?

Schools need to set up mailing lists for parents to get earlier notifications for these sorts of things :)