Sunday, June 27, 2010

Saturday: World Cup and Strikeforce--upsetting and upsets

Per my friend/World Cup mentor's suggestion, I headed to this place to view the 7am Uruguay/South Korea game:


There were about 8 people there for this game (though folks were starting to trickle in just to claim a table for the 11am USA game) and I managed to sit with some nice guys who were rooting for ROK as well:


The Olde Ship is an English pub so English that the waitresses have English accents and call everyone "Love". My early morning buddies who are regulars here informed me that folks regularly drink beer at early games like this and when they air live Premier League games. So to honor the tradition, I took the waitress up on the simple offering of "breakfast" and I ordered a snakebite. The waitress rolled her eyes when I asked if I could have the breakfast with no meat and said "no Love, it all comes together". Sigh. There's a reason it's called pub food and not English Cuisine. Yes, my toast has been deep-fried, but I was able to give the banger and ham to my new buds:


I'm pretty sure I haven't ever drank beer so early in morning before (or will again) so my buddy offered to take a pic. Adult amusement accomplished for today by 7:30am!


Despite our early morning encouragement, S. Korea lost 2-1 to Uruguay. To keep myself going upward and onward, I got an oil change. Adult productivity accomplished for today.


I tried to rally the friends from work I met up with last night to see the USA-Ghana game at a local bar with many, many screens. One showed up. And my eating didn't improve:


And the USA team lost 2-1. To the same team that knocked them out at the last World Cup: Ghana. Shoot, now that's upsetting. I went home and ended up passing out after that game--was it from the beer consumed before noon? was it from the disappointing results of the two games? or was it my hope of sleeping off the burgeoning tummy trouble from the deep fried toast that had been burning a hole in my stomach since 7:30am? Perhaps all of the above. Anyhoo, I woke up in time to meet up with Linda for dinner. I tried to redeem my earlier food choices by going with soup and salad:


Only to negate my efforts when she ordered zeppoles (pretty much the equivalent of donuts) for dessert.


After dinner I joined my friend, Mr. F, to watch the Strikeforce fights, namely the headlining Fedor/Werdum fight. The upset I would have loved to have seen was Cris "Cyborg" Santos to have lost. Unfortunately, Jan Kinney was hardly up to task and took such a near stomach-turning beating from Cyborg that I'm pretty sure it may set back airing more female MMA fights. The upsets came in the form of 38-year-old Cung Le defeating a near 10-years-younger Scott Smith, with a back kick that dropped him. I haven't seen a disabling kick in a fight in so long--it was like the old Cro Cop Pride days. But of course, the biggest upset of the night: Werdum's submission of Fedor. The triangle choke came on so quickly and early that it was almost underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, this is a huge upset. But still...I think Fedor is still going to be considered top dog. His next fight will be the real telling story...

2 comments:

Adventures of D T and M said...

did you travel far for the zeppoles?! because i have been pretty much craving them for an entire year! :E

Pound said...

ohhhhh the breakfast looks kinda foul.

and that guy in your car is like "juh? why you takin a pic of me?"

i kinda felt sick after the zeppolis too.