Sunday, June 13, 2010

Side-tracked/The Karate Kid (2010)

Unfortunately, my good intentions have been thwarted by distractions. Last night, I started sorting out old magazines and ended up doing the crosswords in them while eating stacks of Oreos:


This morning I did accomplish cleaning the floors but then I took the girl and her friend to see a movie:


We discussed:


Though the movie felt long (which it is, clocking in over 2 hours), I have to say Jackie Chan totally redeemed himself for the turd that was "The Spy Next Door". His character's revealing fight scene totally reminded me of classic Hong Kong Jackie Chan. And I have to say that it was nice change to see Chan in a more dramatic, less clownish role--I can't say I missed the goofy mugging that normally comes with his movies and I definitely didn't miss the awkward romantic scenes from "The Spy Next Door". It was a moving moment when he reveals his character's big loss and young Jaden Smith was a nice foil for him. There were moments clearly meant to parallel the original Karate Kid--some worked (e.g., Chan's Mr. Han's sad confessional) and some seemed more forced and awkward--e.g., the "updated" version of the famous "Wax on, Wax off" is now a long version of "hang up your jacket". Oh and the new Karate Kid, Jaden Smith? I'm sure we'll be seeing more of him.

Then back to house for a little Wii time. The girl demonstrated Big Game Hunter 2010:


And her friend quickly picked it up:


To cap off the day--UFC 115 at Buffalo Wild Wings with a friend and fellow fan, Mr. F:


Can you believe Cro Cop is only 35? Don't worry, despite the screen behind me--he won. He's not the same devastating kicker from his Pride days, but tonight he was trying new things (yes, he threw out a couple of side kicks) and got submission of the night. The glaring white elephant in the room is the caliber/experience of his recent winning match-ups: Pat Barry was incredibly effusive to be in the ring with him, smiling and high-fiving often and was thisshort of squealing "I'm in the ring with Cro Cop!" He eventually gassed out--in the choking arms of Cro Cop--the final vignette featuring an exhausted, splay-legged Cro Cop appearing to have just rescued a drowning Pat Barry.

The big fight of course was Rich Franklin's KO of Chuck Liddell with a short right, after Liddell had broken Franklin's left arm with one of his famous kicks. Shoot, poor Chuck Liddell. I'm sure that's not how he pictured his last fight, which sadly, this probably was.

Overall the card was great--did not expect Martin Kampmann (does anyone else thinks he looks like a young Dolph Lundgren) to beat Paulo Thiago and the first fight between Carolos Condit and Rory MacDonald was exciting from start to decisive end.

Now, I'm sure to have a productive day tomorrow...

1 comment:

Pound said...

only you can get distracted by crosswords and oreos. :P

i get distracted by ice cream and plants vs. zombies.