Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Holy crap this movie was violent


But I guess I should have expected it.

I saw Kick-A$$ last night in a small movie theater with about 120 high school students. If you know me, you know I love a good super hero genesis story. I appreciated how it aimed to ground this more in reality, e.g. the titular hero has no special powers, skills, or equipment--just the desire to not close his eyes to injustice in the world.

Ultimately, though, Kick-A$$ is a rough marriage of trying to bring fanatastic, stylized, comic-book violence with realistic aftermath. The young character of Hit Girl (really, really well done by Chloë Grace Moretz) epitomized this conflicted relationship. At times, I could get into my comic book head and love the ridiculously profane language the girl used and the crazy violent choreography. At other times, the mom in me had trouble watching a young girl execute and exchange such brutal violence.

If you can keep your head in comic book land--you'll really enjoy this movie. For me, overall I give this movie a B-.

1 comment:

Pound said...

i need to finish it. so it's good huh?