Sunday, June 6, 2010

Mike Stilkey Show

Last night, the girl and I checked out the new Mike Stilkey installation, which also happened to be the inaugural exhibition of the new Hurley )( Space Gallery here in Costa Mesa.

Currently his work are book sculptures, where he takes unwanted/unused books and creates some art with it:



Incorporating upcycled materials speaks to me--I love it:



The exhibit included two huge pieces, totaling 5000 books:



I was surprised/impressed by some of the books donated to the project. Can you believe someone gave away the hardback to V.C. Andrews' "Flowers in the Attic"? That was a classic during my adolescent years.



I was glad the girl was inspired by the art too:



With all the inspiration these last couple of weeks, kind of makes me want to make something...

2 comments:

Annie A said...

Thanks for blogging about the show! Check out the video:

http://hurley.com/index.cfm

Pound said...

the big one. and flowers in the attic!! lol do i need to read it? i see someone donated a cat book too. how tragic. :P