Friday, February 10, 2012

French toast for mom

The last meal I cooked for my mom before I left yesterday was Mom-friendly French toast. It was geared towards being low cholesterol, low carb, low sugar, and low sodium. Interested?

I mixed about 1/4 cup of "Better 'n Eggs" egg substitute, with a dash of vanilla, dash of cinnamon, and a sprinkle of Splenda. I find a little sweetener brings out the vanilla and cinnamon. One can also add a tablespoon or two of milk but for some reason, I feel like one can forgo it with the egg substitute:


I soaked two pieces of Wonder "SmartWheat" bread (this bread is lower-calorie, lower in sodium, and higher in fiber than other sliced breads) in this mix and then grabbed a few almonds and walnuts:


I chopped up the nuts coarsely and toasted them in a dry frypan until toasty and fragrant:


I removed the nuts and then sprayed the same pan with nonstick spray (no biggie if nut dust still in pan) and cooked the soaked bread on each side until golden brown.  Top with a bit of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter", sugar-free pancake syrup, and toasted nuts and ta-da!


Mom-approved French toast.

2 comments:

Blah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pound said...

i get that she has diet restrictions, but imagine how good that would be made from homemade bread, half and half, eggs, and actual maple syrup? and powdered sugar! (btw i hate french toast cuz it has egg but i feel like it'd be good with enough sugar).