Monday, February 11, 2008

Boggling the mind

I had a great time at the classes at the Oasis! I'll post pictures and an absolutely fascinating fact about Shimelle later.

Right now, here's what's boggling my mind: Fool's Gold. #1 at the box office. Did none of those folks read the reviews? Everyone panned it. Patrick Walsh at Cinematical had a convincingly discouraging review and even summed up in his blog that it was as "compelling as a two-hour fart". Seriously, at over $10 a pop to see a movie, that was enough for me to spend that money more wisely on, say, Spam. And I'm a vegetarian.

The other thing boggling my mind: Epic Movie. Caught it on cable today. Most critics panned it but Owen Gleiberman at EW gave it a B-. Considering that and the cast included some of my favorite actors (Fred Willard, Darrell Hammond, Jennifer Coolidge, Crispin Glover), I wanted to chuckle. I'd be satisfied with some good ol' scatological humor, but ugh. Aren't spoofs supposed to be funny? Overaged, pregnant Hermione? Overly amorous Aslan (oops, that's Aslo here)? The White Witch is, wow, how clever, the White Bitch? And since when is "Click" considered an epic movie?

I hope I can sleep tonight...

2 comments:

Pound said...

lolololol and i soooo wanted to watch those 2 movies.


not.

Anonymous said...

The scream films (which I never saw) were written by fans of the genre and they decided to turn it on it's head. These new spoofs remind me of Jr. High kids getting stoned and writing it down ("wouldn't it be cool if this happened?").