Thursday, February 14, 2008

Chopper

By the grace of my friend's Netflix, I caught Chopper, Eric Bana's breakout movie in the States in 2001.

First, what I wouldn’t given for a subtitles/closed captioning option on this DVD. My ears couldn't always keep up with the Australian accent. Second, I hope if I ever get shivved multiple times by my best friend in prison, I take it as well as Chopper: (stab) What are you doing mate? (stab) What’s going on ‘ere? (stab) and so on for about 6 or 8 more pokes. Third, Eric Bana is great as Mark Brandon “Chopper” Read, the convict who wants to be notoriously known as the biggest bada$$ in Australia. We see not only the tough guy Read wants us to see but also the disturbed and paranoid egomaniac he cannot control.

How’s this for coincidence? Kate Beahan from “The Wicker Man” (which I just saw!) plays his girlfriend, Tanya. Tanya works in a brothel, which I would assume would have some inherent conflict and trust issues. That notwithstanding, Bana illustrates Read’s arrogance and mistrust when he gets violent with her because he suspects she’s cheating on him with someone he previously shot.

Considering I first saw Eric Bana in "Troy" as the lean and lethal Hector, it took me a while to realize this was the same actor playing Chopper...oh right, he looks like Hector if...Hector was bloated and shaved his head. Also, I loved how the 80’s were captured as this beefy cross between the Madonna "Get into the Groove" video and an Aqua Velva ad. I picture the stylist holding up Don Johnson's old suit from Miami Vice asking, does this come in a Husky?

Overall I give this movie a B-. You’re better off watching this on DVD so you can pause and rewind whenever you go, what was that? What did they say? What’s a Bobby?

Anybody else see this movie? Would love to hear your opinion!

No comments: