Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day Suckers!

For those that know me well, they know that I boycott going out on Valentine's Day and Mother's Day.

Has anyone gone out to a restaurant on Mother's Day recently? I haven't, but the last couple of times I went, it totally sucked. Unless you think making a reservation for a block of time (what seating are you reserved for?), choosing from a prix fixe menu (sorry, we're not serving items from our regular menu, just the prix fixe--would you like the chicken or fish?) or the ubiquitous "Mother's Day Brunch Buffet", and then getting hustled out (here's the check, umm...we're getting ready for the next seating) doesn't suck.

No. I'm not bitter. I just think carrying a child for 9 months while fretting about not eating sushi, coffee, beer and not sleeping on my back, culminating in the physical equivalent of pooping out a watermelon, not to mention raising a decent, considerate, caring human being, deserves service and choices above those that usually require a hairnet, big ladle, and Sani-Gloves. At least on a holiday putatively acknowledging all that mothers do, pitching that we deserve to be treated like a queen and not feel guilty about anything we want to eat.

It's my experience that Valentine's Day has headed in that same direction. And calling it a "Prix Fixe a Deux" doesn't make it any better just because it's in French.

Anyhoo, despite my thoughts on going out on these holidays, we still celebrate them, just a day before or later. And we still make cards:
And we still do sweet things:

Have a good one folks!

3 comments:

Pound said...

while we don't really do much for vday, i milk mother's day as much as i can. :P although ethan did take me out valentine's dinner at fish grill :P but then he made me pay cuz, well he's 5. lol

those cards velina made are cute!!! i wish ethan wanted to do stuff like that. booo.

Anonymous said...

I knew you couldn't pass up a holiday that includes sweets. You must love the day after Halloween with that 1/2 price candy!

susan said...

This totally made me laugh and I totally agree. We always celebrate out on a different day. For Mother's day we usually go to Bristol Farm and I pick all the yummy expensive stuff for hubby to grill so I can relax and not be stuck at brunch.