Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I'm Not There

Unfortunately this is not about the famed Bob Dylan biopic, but my state of mind while whammied by this annoying cold. It's apparently a bug that was in full force in December and the girl and I caught it on its way out. I woke up with a sore throat on Sunday and was in and out of consciousness all day where I had this crazy dream that the Giants beat the Patriots in the Superbowl. Anyhoo, by the end of Sunday it deteriorated to an annoying cough.

Since I work holed up in an office, I figured I could go in Monday morning and spare folks my germs by warning them not to enter while I hammered on some spreadsheets. Though I hope I got the first part right, I was about as high functioning as a lump of clay with a photocopy of dazed visage crudely scotch-taped to the front. Besides the two pounds of glue in my head where my brain should be, I have this insane cough where I feel like I'm being beaten with a bag of oranges from the inside. I've been susceptible to horrible chest coughs ever since my smoking days (yes I quit) so I have these karmic coughing fits that just pack a wallop with me.

I crashed on the couch after work and pretty much passed out from 8pm to 2am, vaguely coherent as the girl sat on the couch with me eating popcorn while Orangutan Island played on the tv. Unfortunately after another kidney-beating coughing fit, I haven't been able to fall back asleep. So here I am.

I caught the last 10 minutes of The Wicker Man with Nicholas Cage and Ellen Burstyn. I don't think I'm ruining it for those waiting for it to arrive in their next NetFlix by asking, wow, did the stylist hate Ellen Burstyn? To those who have seen it, you know what I'm talking about--her getup in the end with her free-flowing locks and free-loving muumuu topped with face paint that would get her screen time at a Colts game? Yikes--this kind of killed any desire to watch it from the beginning. Plus I know how it ends. If you loved this movie, I do welcome any advice to do otherwise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that anyone will remember, but the colorist for the original Wicker Man was the colorist for my first film (and he said he loved redheads).
Once when you were acting in one of my films you had to "pretend" to cough, and I remember thinking "that girl can really hack!"
Hope you feel better!

Pound said...

awww i hope you feel better. did you subconsciously say you have 2 pounds of glue in your head? and was that a compliment? i'll take it as such. :P