Friday, February 29, 2008

Old Habits

Specifically, getting-old habits. I just saw The Family Stone on HBO. I know, so last year, literally. I won’t bother reviewing, bottom line, I give it a C, for cable-waitable, though the point is moot since it’s no longer in the theaters. They packed a lot of nice diverse characters and plot points, but the journey and end were predictable (though I will confess my eyes welled up at the final tableau).

The one thing that is sticking from that movie was when Rachel McAdams’ character remarks on Sarah Jessica Parker’s character’s irritating “throat-clearing tic” she would do when she was nervous. While we were watching, Paul remarks, wow, you do that, it’s kind of maddening.

Well, point taken : I’ve noticed that I’ve been doing a lot more throat-clearing but it’s not a nervous thing, it’s a getting-old thing. Like I'm just more phlegmy in general. I clear my throat in the morning. I clear my throat after coffee with a lot of half-n-half. I clear my throat if lounging in some obtuse angle for a while watching tv.

Sooo, as I get older, will I get even phlegmier? Will I be like those old dudes on the streets of New York who would hawk a loogey on the corners or air hank in the gutter? Ech.

And that's not the only thing. A long single whisker makes an appearance on my chin every other moon. I pass out in front of the tv on the couch if I'm not upright. I wave my fist at these young punk drivers on the road. I often start sentences, "when I was young..." I wake up with a sore back because I've spent the last 7 hours vigorously sleeping.

Anybody else getting older and grosser/more annoying/lamer?

Or is it just me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SWEET REVENGE!
After all those years of you making fun of me (“should you be doing that at your age?”
“I didn’t know they had that for people your age.”)-I simply sat back and smiled when I read your post (though I kind of do remember you hacking up phlegm from time to time years ago-but you blamed that on “quitting smoking.”).
I used to say one of the good things about getting old is that I get to see it happen to you!
Thanks for making my day!
PB

Anonymous said...

That was so funny! I can certainly relate. Every year brings new joys and gives us lots to look forward to. :-)

Pound said...

duuuuuuude i didn't even think about the throat clearing thing as getting old. hmpf. i do that a lot.

man. this sucks huh lol.

Unknown said...

I wanted to know if by any chance you would be interested in doing an unbiased review of our product.

If you agree we will send you a product sample so that you can try it and then write a review about it.

Please let me know if you are interested.

Thank you