Wednesday, July 22, 2009

An Afternoon at the Museum

Velina, my sister, and I went to the Museum of Natural History. I don't know if it's because of the "A Night at the Museum" movies but it was crazy crowded--worse than Chinatown on a Saturday morning. It was packed with kids and tourists and the huge halls compounded all the noise into an unseen monster that beat me into exhausted submission and headache.

Fortunately, the main part that the girl wanted to visit was the hall of gems and minerals. Not many people there. Over the years, she has picked up an interest in rocks from her rockhound grandfather, who also happens to be an amateur paleontologist who goes on digs every summer.



We spent most of our visit there, looking at minerals and gems and looking up details in the reference book she had brought with her. Between escaping the havoc of the rest of the museum and the carpeted quiet of the mineral hall, I was ready to pass out. So relieved when the girl was ready to go too. I love this museum and I totally recommend it but it's easier to enjoy when it's not so crowded. We'll be back.

1 comment:

Paul said...

not to mention Velina's dad spent 5 years there!