Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy Fourth

I hope everyone had a great Fourth of July!

Every year we donate to the Irvine Police Association and they give us a family ticket for their Fourth of July celebration at a local high school stadium. Usually we go with the option to donate the ticket as well, but this year we decided to try it out.

The highlights included the fireworks, which were great, and the ease of it. We went early enough so parking was easy, we brought camp chairs, blankets, drinks, and travel Scrabble to fill our time until the fireworks started.

We did have a couple of stumbles. I had to use the bathroom pretty shortly after we got there so I braved a Port-a-Pot from a bank of them set up across the food vendors. After I emerged from the Port-a-Pot, my mind was simultaneously occupied with how I could beg for hand sanitizer and trying to forget the wet grime I had been standing in. Yeesh, the trauma that could be avoided if I were able to will myself not to look down when inside a Port-a-Pot. My thoughts were interrupted by Velina walking up to me, with a question, "hey Mom, how come you didn't use the Ladies Room?" as she pointed to the women entering and exiting the ladies room behind the food vendors.

The other stumble was our poor timing to send Velina to get her funnel cake. We thought 20 minutes before the fireworks were slated to start would be enough time. Unfortunately we were mistaken--there was a huge line and it was slow cooking in the fry vats at the funnel cake stand. Paul went to stand with her and eventually sent her back to me and Nana after the fireworks started.

Though he could see them from the stand, Paul missed the fireworks to bring Velina this:


It was delicious. Thanks, sweetie.

No comments: