Tuesday, July 28, 2009

We're back

We arrived back to Cali from NYC yesterday. Yeesh, it is slow going for me. Besides the base melancholy of leaving my sister, I read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" on the plane trip back. Geez, that just about devastated me. It's a very effective book following the journey of a man and his young son in a post-apocalyptic world. As if surviving the elements and searching for food wasn't hard enough to witness, the most harrowing details are the ones depicting the evil horrors that man do. It's very well-written and I recommend it with caution--prepare for a tension filled ride that could prove upsetting and demoralizing. I recommend reading it when you have time to finish it (e.g., 3-4 hours) because it's hard to put down. I also recommend some kind of chaser after it, like some SpongeBob Squarepants cued up on the DVR or an issue of People or Us Weekly. I heard they made a movie of it with Viggo Mortensen. I think the only way I could go see that movie would be if it was a double feature with a Will Ferrell movie or something like "Pineapple Express".

Fortunately, a good friend saved me and I was able to get sucked into the Twilight saga to help bring me out of the pit of distress after reading "The Road". I'm on a brighter road to recovering from this funk.

No comments: