Tuesday, July 14, 2009

It's it

Last Saturday, on my most recent free day, I finally gave in and tried the famous It's It ice cream cookie sandwich. Various folks have strongly recommended it so I finally gave it a try as it was on sale at the grocery store. I tried both the original vanilla:

And the mint:

Both versions are ice cream sandwiched between two oatmeal cookies (no raisins or nuts--thank you!) and thinly enrobed in dark chocolate. A key issue I have with cookie ice cream sandwiches is the cookie must be soft enough to receive a good bite with out squishing out all the ice cream. It's It passed this important test. After that, I enjoyed the taste. What definitely works in their favor is that since I've been eating like a monk for the previous six days, anything desserty or extra carby or fatty seems fabulously decadent and foodgasmic. At first I didn't think the mint would be a good mix with the oatmeal cookie, but it turned out to be an interesting combination that amused the palate. I thoroughly enjoyed the classic combo of the vanilla ice cream and oatmeal cookie with the thin (not overwhelming) coating of dark chocolate.

Overall, I'd give It's It 3 out of 4 stars. It was very good but to be four stars good, I'd pretty much want to eat this every free day and I see myself eyeing other desserts for my next precious free day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate mint! Do they have this on the East coast???
-pb

No Scrolling said...

Anonymous: I know of only one place to get an It's It on the East Coast, which is at one of the cafes at Google's NYC offices. (They're also available at Charlie's Cafe at Google's Mountain View offices in California, and perhaps at some cafes at other Google locations.)

Google actually gets custom-made It's Its for its cafes. The Google version uses a healthier sweetener, if I recall correctly. (This doesn't make the It's Its healthy, just healthIER.)

Other than that, I think It's Its are only available in California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Hawaii and Arizona.

You can also get them shipped straight to you, but it ain't cheap:

http://www.itsiticecream.com/order/shipping.cfm

David said...

yummy!!