Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy belated St. Patrick's Day


We actually made a cake that Velina decorated and spelled out "Happy St Pat's" in green sprinkles but we ate it before I could take a picture. Instead here is my attempt at making a cookiewich. Unfortunately I think I needed a softer cookie because the ice cream would just squish out whenever I took a bite.

A clear memory about St. Patrick's Day is that it was a good night to stay indoors in NYC. I lived in the East Village which had a couple of famous old time Irish bars, including McSorley's whose floors were generously coated in sawdust every day to make clean up of vomit easier. On St. Patrick's, there were lines to get into these pubs, and let's just say most streets and sidewalks would have benefitted from this protocol.
Believe me, cake is better. Hope everyone had a good (and safe) one!

1 comment:

dad said...

Softer cookie, definitely. Solution to the mushy ice cream problem: Shove a cup or glass (the opening as wide as the cookie is wide) into cold, hard-packed ice cream and extract by spatula. Think the quarrying of marble here.