Friday, March 7, 2008

Who had the nerve to take a dump in here?

Recently Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle was playing on TBS (or USA?). Paul couldn’t help but notice that they cut the infamous “Battlesh!ts” scene in the Princeton ladies room where Kumar is hiding out and overhears two gorgeous women try to outdo, or more accurately, out doo-doo each other. Was it too risqué for TBS? (or USA?), my dear husband wondered.

Sigh. No, sweetie, it’s because it was one of the most unrealistic scenes ever played in this or any other movie. More unrealistic than riding on the back of an escaped cheetah? More unrealistic than having your car towed by a guy named “Freakshow” and then get propositioned by his amorous centerfold of a wife? More unrealistic than Neil Patrick Harris stealing your car…and then returning it? Yes, yes, and yes.

I have yet to meet an adult woman who doesn’t covet privacy and anonymity when busting a move in the bathroom. Now I’m not talking about the huge restrooms at the airport, stadium, or movieplex where there is constant commotion. I’m talking about places like restaurants and offices: quiet restrooms where there are two to four stalls and it would take total deafness to not know what someone is doing. In talking to other women, I’ve confirmed all the various ways we try to hide any auditory evidence of our business (besides praying that we’ll have the ladies room all to ourselves): we’ll cough, ahem-ahem, spin a hopefully squeaky toilet tissue dispenser, shuffle our shoes, fiddle noisily with the seat cover dispenser, mutter to ourselves, anything to mask any aural proof of what we’re doing.

When I went to Tokyo last winter the ladies room stalls have a button that just makes a flushing noise—legend is that they were installed to save water as ladies were actually flushing water to disguise any noises. I bet that would be a big hit here.

When I talk to men about it, they’re bewildered. What? they say. That’s ridiculous. As if someone is going to walk in there and sniff, “Heeeyyyyy…who had the nerve to take a dump in here?” And I don’t have an answer. I admit I’m a little jealous with their comfort level.

I’ve seen men tuck a newspaper, a magazine, a paperback, even a writing pad (!) under their arm as they head into the rest room. Seriously, it’s like waving their arms in the air and yell, hey, I’m going to lay some cable and I’m taking the sports section! I’ve even heard they talk to each other when they’re in the stalls, like they’re not self-conscious at all. Whoa, did I have a burning tire for lunch?…I should know by now that spicy food totally gives me the squirts. My understanding is that executing their business a stall away from another person is no big deal. Hey is the post office delivering tomorrow? No? But Fedex and UPS still are, right?

I hear there is a sequel to Harold and Kumar coming out soon. I wonder what ker-razy concept they’re going to put into that one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I really enjoy reading your blog. You have such a great sense of humor. Thanks!

dad said...

Jealous?! You have no idea. The typical Mens Restroom is by far the FOULEST place on the face of the earth!! Can anybody top that? I don't think so...

Pound said...

i'm so glad you started blogging HAHAHAHAHAHA.
and i agree with every single thing you said.

um, i know someone (a guy who shall remain anon) who brings his LAPTOP into the bathroom.

and for the record, *i* go into a public restroom, sniff and think "who the HELL had the nerve to drop the kids off in here??? how RUDE. this is a public bathroom after all. other people have to come in here...etc"

LOLOLOLOLOL

Pound said...

uh that was meant to say "drop the kids off in the pool"

otherwise it makes no sense at all. :P

Jamie Ko said...

i flush the toilet right before I drop one. I just thought about taking out a seat cover and balling it up too at the perfect time.

my husband brings his cell phone with him at work to play games. at home, he enters his "office" with laptop in hand. our shorter laundry hamper serves as his "desk".

did I just out my hubby? oops.

Anonymous said...

You went to Tokyo?
PB