Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Grown-ups

The girl and I went to see Grown-ups. We were hooked as soon as we saw the commercial where the daughter shrieks in embarrassment as her dad is surrounded by telltale blue dye in a water park pool indicating that he's "made a sissy".

With expectations like those, you'd think we'd be easy to please. Unfortunately, with the exception of "arrow roulette" and the "getting wasted" scene (which was also in the commercial) I was pretty disappointed or worse--bored. When did Adam Sandler movies get so talky? So many jokes fell flat that I wondered if I was overhearing a bunch of inside jokes between the actors. If it wasn't for the farting mother-in-law and pratfalls in pies or poop, my daughter would have been bored too.

I rate this movie a C+. The plus is a nod to Mr. Sandler for giving his props to New England with an extensive scene in Woodman's restaurant.

Barring that, I think I'll go look to see if The Water Boy is playing on cable.

No comments: