Monday, July 12, 2010

World Cup Final (Ned-Esp)

For the World Cup Final between the Netherlands and Spain, I wanted to go back to the Harp where I went for the Germany-Argentina game. Fortunately, Mr. F (usually my MMA viewing host) was on board with catching the game there as he is an avid soccer player himself. Knowing it was going to be packed, we headed out early and managed to snag the last table at 9:30am. With 2 hours till game time, we settled in with some beverages:


And some breakfast (Shepherd's Pie for Mr. F and Fish and Chips for me--yes I ate it all):


Mr. F actually played soccer with a Dutch club (and my World Cup mentor at work was also rooting for the Dutch), so I was down with wearing Oranje:


By 10:30, the place was packed and we were joined by a friend of Mr. F's, Mr. Fettucine.


Fueled by many rounds of beer and a crowd that was evenly split, I remember the game being exciting, impressed by the ball control by Spain, and awed by the 14 yellow cards (and red card!) dealt out--especially for the the blazing side-kick to the sternum dealt to a poor Spanish player. Eventually Spain won out, 1-0. I remember saying goodbye to some face-painted Dutch rooters, next time, next time, and one guy sighed, "And now I gotta drive home in that", pointing to an SUV covered with "World Champs", "Go Holland", etc. in bright white and orange paint on all the windows.

We left the Harp after 2pm, and went to grab a bite at the Aloha Grill, where I had their Teriyaki fish sandwich:


But what Aloha Grill is really famous for is their Rainbow drink:


Knowing that the Rainbow features a memory-erasing 5 liquors in it, I gently demurred. After all, I did have quite a few rounds at the Harp. But eventually I was persuaded to have one:


Did I mention that the Rainbow has 5 different liquors in it? Bottom line, Mrs. F (who had taken the kids to Wild Rivers during the day) ended up picking us up and driving us home. The girl and I passed out together on the couch when we got home. I woke up sweating and a touch green in the gills.


I remember thinking that I still wanted to tackle more stuff on my to-do list, like clean. As one can imagine, not much got crossed off that night.

2 comments:

Pound said...

drinking in the morning again? at least u didn't have deep fried toast.

Blah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.