Saturday, July 17, 2010

Thanks for the poem, Opa

Opa occasionally sends me stuff through the mail which I love. Let's face it, personal and fun stuff is always a super surprise in a mailbox full of bills, solicitations, and junk. Sometimes it's a card, sometimes it's funny captions, or an interesting article. This time he included a poem by Ted Kooser, a Nebraskan who is a former US Poet Laureate and a Pulitzer-winning poet:


The poem was written for his friend Emily who eventually succumbed to cancer. As both Opa and I have lost significant people in our lives to cancer, this poem really spoke to me and moved me to tears--it captures that odd combination of hope, loss, and peace when you know you're losing someone.

Thanks for sharing Opa.

2 comments:

Paul said...

The poem moved me as well...

Pound said...

that's a great poem.