Wednesday, July 7, 2010

One day - so many directions

Words with Friends. It's like Scrabble with multiple friends on the iPhone and I'm addicted. But here are my disclaimers: I'm somewhat competitive--I can't let a good word go, especially those of the high point value (duh) or high tile use. And I usually have 10-12 games going. So this morning after a winning a game, I got a rematch right away. So sure, my reflexive response is it's on like Donkey Kong. I look at my tiles and a six letter word is staring me in the face. But it's, uh, a clinical word, and I try to find a different word but none are worth as many points or uses as many tiles, so the competitor in me puts the word down:


Seriously, my other 2 tiles were the B and V (the other five letters replaced the ones I put down). If you can think of a better scoring word, by all means, please comment, Smartypants. I already tried vaxing, baxing, vabina, etc.

Of course, it hits me after I submit the word that I'm playing with the mom of a friend, my World Cup mentor. I send her a message, apologizing for using such a clinical word and despite trying other variations, it was my best scoring word. I could practically hear the sigh of the jaded parent who's seen it all when she replied that's ok it worked. Thank goodness the Dutch won their semi-final today.

My day got a little worse as I managed to reactivate a pull in my neck. How, you ask? From some uber-multitasking--talking on the phone with the President while vacuuming? From breaking some weightlifting record? From rescuing a pregnant woman from a burning building? Nope, nope, nope. I cranked my neck reaching for the shampoo in the shower which I had moved to a new corner when I was cleaning the stall. I ended up going to the chiropractor, which I actually enjoy. Between the electrodes, heating pad, and a rubdown that's the perfect marriage between a massage and Vulcan neck pinch, it's like a practical, high-functioning spa treatment.

The highlight of my day was visiting a friend at work who just had a baby. Of course, I had to swing by the gift shop and get what every new mother wants in the hospital:


Look at this tiny cutie:


I wish I could pipe in sound for this picture, because then you could hear the adorable nom, nom, nom as the cutie sucked on her hand:


To end the day on an up note, I treated the girl and myself to a nice dinner at Native Foods. The fine food (I highly recommend the artichoke crudite plate while it's still available as a seasonal specialty) and always-refreshing watermelon fresca was enhanced when another friend from work and his family were there too. Native Foods is one of my favorite vegetarian restaurants, where even the cheese on the girl's pizza is dairy-free:

(wow, it would seem I eat like a pig from this picture)

The girl was a good sport about going there so I conceded getting her "real" dinner later:


Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit more even-keeled.

2 comments:

Pound said...

vabina??? i've tried some crazy words too. but you beat me by like 472 points, and some other person beat me, and i ran out of words w/ another. 0 for 3. i'm currently slightly losing to you again and another friend.

so velina isn't a fan of native foods? in n out looks good! we walked by native after toy story, and evan's like wth is that place? hahaha!

Lindsay said...

Great Pic of Tiffanys little bundle of Joy! So Cute